The Juggling Nomad

Tuesday, June 20, 2006




WORLD CUP MORNING MADNESS VIP STYLE

So Korea's last game against France was live here at 4 am, yet still there were several hundred thousand koreans screaming and endlessly chanting outside of their homes. We went to Jamshil stadium, the baseball stadium seating 35,000 people that was nearly full.

A buddy Jin hooked us up with VIP passes which inlcuded access to anywhere in the stadium. With the booze flowing down our throats we explored the dugouts, locker rooms, meeting rooms, tv room, and of course the field. They weren't too fond of us being on the grass and starting the wave which ended my excitement of attempting to break a record for the world's longest wave.

France was up 1 nil until the 81st minute when Park Ji Sung trickeld a ball past the french keeper. At about 5:42 am, the stadium and city was booming. Anyone I know that was sleeping was awoken by the screams. Back in the stadium the cheering didn't stop until well after the end of the match. I almost peed my pants in excitement, but instead I waved my one lasting inflatable stick.

After the game we used our press passes to get back on the field. We ran the bases, and tossed the disc. Then we headed home at 6:30 am to the sound of horns, rowdy sober koreans on platform trucks, and quieter drunk koreans attempting to control their projectile vomitting who I assume were making their way to work for Monday. Now THAT'S a case of the Mondays!

On another note which needs to be mentioned for pure shock value. I was pickpocketed at the game whilst we visited the 'commoners' section. This is nuts cuz nothing EVER gets stolen in Korea, really I've never heard of such a thing here. It was Jon Dart's camera who will find out as he reads this. I guess I owe you some cash for that Jonny, can I pay you in English lessons?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home