The Juggling Nomad

Thursday, December 28, 2006

A Cambodian Christmas
Bah Humbug

It's essentially the same as any other day. This is what happens when spending Christmas in a buddhist nation. Sadly this year there was an abundance of Santa hats and a few more Merry Christmas' from the fruit toting kids on the beach. I really don't see any benefits in westerners spreading their over-commerialized holidays to any other country, let alone a poor impoverished one. Thankfully, that hasn't happened here YET, but its definitley grown since 2 years ago with the hats and even a few decorated trees. Ok, lets face it, nobody cares about Christmas here except the foriegners. So the expats and Khmers,
try to take advantage and make some money with the influx of tourists. I understand the economics of it, but I don't much like it.

My Christmas consisted of a tri-challenge with an Aussie who was staying at the same beach shack where I stay/live.We played best of 5 ping pong, best of 3 darts, and best of 3 sets in tennis. I was victorious in ping pong and tennis so I won the challenge. My sense of acheivement was quickly subdued and overshadowed by my Boxing day tri-challenge with Tommy, a dutch lad who co-runs the Orphanage I volunteer at. He beat me 3 straight in ping pong, narrowly beat me in pool and then beat me in tennis. The tennis was quite close, 3/4 of the games went to deuce but he is mentally strong and always won the points that mattered. Good job Tommy, I hope to wield some better success in the upcoming rematch.

An awesome Austrian juggler has rolled into town and I now have a teacher! He can do 5 clubs quite easily and sometimes even 7 balls. Damn, I suck in the world of juggling, but Im making some small gains here no doubt.

For New Year's eve we are organizing a beach clean-up followed by a BBQ at Chaimoy's Frog Shack (my home for now). This will kick off my road to innebreation to ring in 2007! HAPPY NEW YEAR!


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Klik Klik,

You seem to be very daring in all you do. I like how you view Christmas being handled in another country. I would love to have been there seeing you juggle the fire... haha. Your trip up the mountain with no lights seemed to be adventurous ... nothing seems worth doing if you can't have fun doing it. I couldn't agree more about the view of nature, it just sits there day after day waiting for us to admire it. Such a shame people don't do that more. The photos you post when you can are gorgeous. So green there.

I am glad to see you are having fun living the life you do. Good to hear that you are doing what you can helping in the orphanage there. Kudos to you.

I live in U.S. - Pittsburgh, Pa. moved from California nearly two years ago, hearing about the beach on your side reminded me what I was missing. I like the escape I get reading your blog. Look forward to reading more.

Annonymous is Me in the other post.

I'm Shauna, Nice to meet you.

4:56 PM  
Blogger Klik Klik said...

My first anonynous reader! How exciting!

Im trying to get pics on here but it isn't so easy at public computers.

But nice to meet you too, its nice to know someone actually reads this! haha, take care.

12:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home